Patient Registration

Registering with the Practice

RCGP Guide to GP Services

The Royal College of General Practitioners has produced a useful guide for patients about the services on offer at GP Surgeries and how to access them.

Patients living within the area may register with the Practice and will be allocated a usual doctor. It is helpful to us to have a daytime telephone number if that is different from your home number, in case we have to cancel an appointment at short notice. Please also let us have your mobile phone number. We can then send you a text reminder message when you have an appointment booked at the Practice.

The Practice covers the following area:

Aldworth Ashampstead Cane End
Checkendon Cholsey Crays Pond
Exlade Street Gallowstree Common Goring
Goring Heath Hailey Ipsden
Kidmore End Little Stoke Lower Basildon
Mapledurham Moulsford North Stoke
Nuffield South Stoke Stoke Row
Streatley Upper Basildon Whitchurch Hill
Whitchurch on Thames Woodcote

On registering at the Practice, you will be asked to provide some photo ID (eg passport or driving licence) and ID showing your address (eg utility bill, credit card or bank statement). Please ensure that you have this with you when you come in to see us to register. You will also be asked to complete an NHS standard registration form (purple form).

Immediately Necessary Treatment

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from the Goring and Woodcote Medical for up to 14 days. After 14 days, you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

Temporary Residents (TRs)

Where possible, it is always best to see your own GP as they will have access to your current medical record.

If you are registered at a neighbouring Practice you should contact your own GP for routine issues.

If you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from any GP surgery.

If you are registered with a Medical Practice but are away from home and need urgent medical care, you can register with us as a Temporary Resident patient (TR).

Should you be visiting the area and run out of your usual medication (including the contraceptive pill), you can ask your registered GP to fax a prescription to a local Pharmacy.

If you need an immediately necessary appointment with us for urgent medical care, please ensure that, where possible, you have the following information with you when you come to the surgery to register as a TR :

  • details of any medical conditions you have
  • details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
  • the name of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • details of anything you’re allergic to
  • contact details for your permanent or previous GP
  • NHS number
  • when you are returning home
  • a brief outline of your current problem

We will need to ensure that you have visited the Practice and completed a Temporary Services form GMS3 before seeing the doctor.

As a TR we can provide an assessment and treatment for urgent medical care, but cannot provide ongoing care, eg specialist referrals.

Change of Address

Please let the Practice know if you move house or change your contact details.

Out of Area Registration

We now accept registrations from outside our Practice boundary. This does mean, however, that we will be unable to provide home visits to you. You would need to phone 111 instead to obtain a home visit.

This option may not be suitable for all patients. If you have any questions regarding this type of registration please contact the Practice. All requests for “out of area” registration will be considered by the Partners at their weekly meeting.

Please see the information sheet below that contains more details about this type of registration.

Out of Area Registration Information

Usual Doctor

When you first register with the Practice, you will be assigned a “usual doctor”. This is the doctor who you will usually see when you visit the Practice for a consultation. This doctor will, therefore, get to know all about you and your medical history, which will enable us to provide you with continuity of care.

You may, of course, ask to see any other doctor in the Practice, at any time, or ask to change your usual doctor, if you wish.

Existing patients at the Practice will already have an assigned “usual doctor” but this may not be the doctor that they currently see. Please ask at the surgery if you want to know who your usual doctor is, and make sure that this is up to date.

New Patient Health Review

We strongly recommend all new patients registering with the Practice attend for a health review. This helps us to get to know you and to be aware of any particular problems you may have. It can take some weeks before your medical record arrives from your previous doctor.

Downloadable Registration Forms

Please download and complete the relevant forms and return them to the surgery. You will need to complete an NHS Registration Form and appropriate Health Questionnaire for person wishing to register at the Practice. Please note these forms are also available at the surgery.